My Mountain Bike Resurrection - Phase 1 Completed

After constant pestering by Weiming, I finally decide to unveil the dusty plastic cover and do something to revive the bike. It had been lying under the plastic cover for 10 years unused, after I had gotten my bike license. So, this bike is like 12 years old already LOL. When we unveiled the cover.. the bike is totally in bad shape: rusted chain, gearsets with oxidation residue, faded handle grips, hardened tyres, unusable cable lines, corroded pedals, faded paintwork on the frame and LOTS of dust!

in short, it requires a bit of effort to rebuild this bike up. However to our surprise, most of the components are still salvageable, like the hubs are still rolling, gearset & dereailer still functional, rims & brakes functional, front fork still going strong, and my fav air horn is still able to scare the shit out of anyone in its path!

So in order to restore the bike at minimum cost, first thing I need to do is to remove the components and clean them up to assess the useability. While most of the stuffs are easily removed with little effort, the pedal screw thread seems to have bond with the thread in the pedal lever, making it very difficult to remove them. In order not to damage it, I leave them as it is and coming weekend if have time and not feeling lazy, I will probably do some cleaning and polishing on the frame and metal components. Then from there I can see which are the things that needs to be replaced.

After dismantling the bike, the obvious components that needs to be replaced are:

  • Tyres
  • Inner Tubes
  • Tyre air valves
  • Chain
  • the battery in the speedometer
  • Riding Glove (either the gloves shrunk or my hands' gotten bigger
  • Cable Lines
  • Saddle
Let's hope that no more items are to be added to this list as this is supposed to be a low-cost revival project.

And surprising thing I had found is that the rear red LED blinker is still functional with a 10-year-old battery in it! WTF!?!?!?!?



More updates to come as the project progresses.....

3 comments:

JWG said...

*cough* *cough* ... yes I am the Saint who got this poor KHS bike out from the destiny of going onto a Garang Guni lorry. Of course our dear Xgrind indeed forgot to add in the part of the story whereby I was too sweating to help him take this poor soul out from the dark corners of his "store" ...

angkuguay said...

From human powered two wheels to petrol driven two wheels to EIGHT wheels, and now back to pedal power again? Male menopause?

I need to fix my leaking front forks, recommendations?

Unknown said...

Means...

Already got the stuff there don't leave there to rot LOL

for your fork, need to bring to bicycle shop to change the oil seals.

If you can wait, go with me to bike shop when i send my bicycle for servicing. See if i can get my friend Junion to help us transport the cycles there (you have to pay coffee money though LOL)