Secondary Throttle Plate adjustments

Been reading on the forums that some FZ1 riders had either zipped their sub-throttle plates permanently open or completely removed them and indicated that they had gained significant improvements in the low-mid RPM range. For me, I look at it as a cheap (in fact free) mod and after making sure that doing so will not lean out the air-fuel mixture on my bike, I proceed with this DIY mod.


After removing fuel tank for several times, I finally found an easy way to secure the tank so that I can work on the internals with my 2 hands. Previously I had to work with one hand with the other holding the tank.


With 2 hands, removing the airbox becomes a breeze.

After removing the airbox, the throttle body is now visible. I don't understand why Yamaha engineers designed the airbox in a way that I had to open up the air box in order to remove it. When I see the plates they are covered with oil grime....yuckz....

I switch on the engine to start the initiaisation where the sub-throttle plate servo motor will open the plates and that's where I quickly switch off so as to leave the plate in that position. Just when I am about to remove the connecting arm, I noticed that there is the adjustment screw where it can do adjustments to the tilt position of the plates. After some thoughts and remembered that Ivan's plates are smaller to allow more air to go into the throttle body at low RPMs, I tried by turning the screw to the maximum position where the plates will be tilted, giving a slightly bigger gap to allow slightly more air at low RPM range.

Sub-throttle plate closed position after adjustment (noticed that the gap is now slightly bigger as compared to the previous picture)

After that, I cleaned the oilgrime off the plates and airbox with GT85 (something simliar to WD40) and fix everything back. After a rounding trip with AngKuGuay later in the night, there is a slight but not significant improvement in the lower range of the RPM. Of course, if I want a major improvements in that aspect, I will definitely need to zip the plates fully open... permenantly. Oh well, at least it works :)
Oh, and this is taken in a secluded place (but fun road to ride) when we were resting during our local rounding trip with AngKuGuay's new DRZ keke

No comments: