Google Chrome

Just stumbled upon this new open source webkit based browser from Google (Quizsilver told me about it and I thought he's screwing with me LOL), created using components from Apple's webkit and Firefox. Currently it is still in Beta status but it seems to be stable (I'm posting this entry with it)

What is Chrome different from other browsers you might ask?
  • one address box for everything (URLs, Search, etc), hence maximising viewing estate on small screens other than using Firefox's full screen mode, which have to press F11 to activate.
  • Dynamic tabs: meaning you can dynamically manupilate the tabs in the browser
  • Crash Control: seems that the tabs are running in separate processes, this means that when you visits a site that somehow hung up your current tab, the rest of the open tabs remain unaffected
  • Incognito Mode: My personal fav. You can now surf those very private sites where you don't wish to store your personal information in the HDD. Yes, I'm posting this entry in Incognito mode :D
  • Application shortcuts: You can now create application shortcuts (Google docs or Gmail for example) on your desktop where you can directly access them just by double clicking them
  • Import bookmarks: Chrome can directly port your firefox bookmarks so it saves you the hassle of re-creating bookmarks you already have.
While I find the browser stable and speedy, esp when using Google Docs, I kinda missing the RSS feed feature as what you get in Firefox 3. Overall, it is a pretty decent browser to use and its adoption by the masses looks promising.

As I mentioned that the browser is still in its Beta stage, it is only available for Windows platform. I can't wait for Google to release the Mac and Linux version so I can use on my Ubuntu desktop as well. 

To know more about this upcoming browser, click here

And my parting statement for this entry.....

Support open source softwares...... and screw IE (^_^)

1 comment:

Ti§h said...

now this is 1 thing i wont miss!!!