Why are you still using Internet Explorer?

For past years, I had been using different web browsers (other than Internet Explorer which IMO, sucked). We have Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Safari and recently Google Chrome. Right now my most used browsers on both my desktop and EeePC are Firefox & Opera. Google Chrome is currently in Beta so I leave it out of the equation. What about Safari? Well, Safari is only available for Windows and Mac, and since I had spent >90% of my time on Ubuntu (Don't know what is it? Click here), Sarafi is out (Steve Jobs would probably tell me to get a Mac LOL)

Why 2 browsers you may ask? Well, while both have the same core purposes that a browser fulfills, both of them have their strengths. For Firefox, I will list down the features of each individual browser based on my own daily use.

FireFox
  • Wide selection of themes and extensions to customise or pimp your FF. Personally I used DownthemAll! for file downloads (uber cool download accelerator), Gmail Manager (To monitor my Gmail accounts) and Searchbar Autosizer
  • Most of the sites in the cyberspace can be viewed without any HTML/PHP glitches
  • RSS Feeds bookmarks can be placed on the personal bookmark bar so i can view RSS updates on the fly
  • Comes with security information on every website you visited (while not all have security identity information though)
  • Able to perform proper backup of the bookmark in JSON format so every bookmark details (including RSS feed links) are preserved. Restoration of bookmarks on newly installed Firefox is definitely a breeze
Opera
  • Blazing fast in rendering webpages (main competitor is Apple's Safari)
  • Comes with Quick Dial with newly opened tab (shows live preview of the site as thumbnail)
  • Bookmark synchronisation with Opera server. Very useful when I want to install Opera on another PC and restore my Bookmarks. Just click on Opera Synchronization and your bookmark collection will appear on the newly installed Opera almost instantly.
  • Built in Bit Torrent client. But I don't use it since I had been using another BT client for a while
  • Built in Mail Client. It doubles up as a RSS feed reader.
  • Support of Widgets that can run within the browser and even the desktop

There you go, from my above observations, that goes to show that both browsers provide much more customisations and personalisation without sacrificing the usability. In fact, they make internet surfing more enjoyable, efficient and fun. Best of all, both of the Browsers are Free!

For me, I am still waiting for Chrome to be ported to Linux and gonna try out if it is worth replacing both Firefox and Opera.

No comments: