New TV for the New PS3

Playing PS3 with a 15" CRT TV is really a pain. I can't even read the chinese characters properly in Grand Turismo HD Concept, to the point I have to strain my eyes with it. I figured that with that kind of video quality (if there's any to talk about) I and Dear can't even enjoy the Blu-Ray's High Definition movies at all. It is then I had decided to get a HD ready LCD TV in order to enjoy the full picture quality of the machine.

Why HD-Ready (1080i) and not getting a Full HD (1080p) TV you might ask? For the clueless, Full  HD TV currently in the market only comes in panel sizes greater than 40" and I am only looking into a 26" TV. As a small panel, its native resolution is not possible to support 1080p resolution. 

I had been doing some research on the TV and LG's LC7R TV seems to fit my requirements pretty well. Another TV to look at is the Pany's Viera TV (forgotten the model, sorry about that). So what's good about this TV?

- 2 X HDMI ports that takes in 1080p streams (but downscale and upscale video to panel)
- Looks simple and elegant (speaker grill are not that obvious)
- 10000:1 contrast ratio
- Brillant picture quality

Of course prior to getting this TV I have to obtain the green light from the "commander" before going ahead with the purchase. Eventually I got the green light and we headed down to Bukit Panjang Plaza where my colleague, Ivan, had told me about the LG promotion by Harvy Norman over there. Went down to take a look and the salesman told me that the batch TV sets they have  are made in Korea instead of Malaysia. In addition, it is selling at a promotional price which is almost $400 off its retail price, plus a petrol voucher to top it off. Really sounded like a good deal. After much thought and seeking Dear's opinion, we decided to go for the TV. 

After cleaning up the room, removing the old TV and PS2, I made a minor arrangement and this is how it looked like (yes, the one covered in yellow cloth is the PS3). Not very neat but not that chaotic too. After the arrangement, I came to realise one thing: somehow unconsciously I had become a LG supporter LOL (coz I have a LG LCD monitor and HDD recorder as well)...

Although Dear is not very happy about spending $2000 over 2 weekends just to get a good gaming equipment, but nevertheless she knew that I liked them and allow me to get it. Muack!

Ultimately I will hope that she will enjoy the HiDef movies I bring back to watch as much as I do and also to enjoy the PS3 experience with me. :)


No comments: