Almost Dead Bike Revived

The battery on my FZ1 had been very weak recently. Whenever I charged the battery up to the optimal voltage, it didn't hold its charge for too long, usually not more than 2 nights without riding. On Saturday, the battery finally gave up on me, reaching a weak voltage reading of 12.3V. I will need a minimum of 12.4V charge in the battery to barely get the engine started.

I should have gotten a new battery earlier since I already knew of the symptoms but due to work and other personal commitments, I could not get my arse down to the bike shop to get it replaced. So on that fateful day, just when I was about to go to Junion's house for lunch gathering, the bike refused to start. Best of all, it was a public holiday so all the bike shops were closed. What a timing.

So I left the bike resting at my void deck carpark for couple of days and be a public commuter for 2 days to work. Reason that I did not get the battery earlier is due to some financial cockups from my company. However, the rider's itch sets in and I figured that it's about time to get the bike running again.

So with the help of Junion, we went down to LAB (Lim Ah Boy) to get the Yuasa battery. While it is claimed by the shop that it is not the OEM battery, it's from the same manufacturer anyway and it is half the price of the original component. So without hesitation, I got the battery, bring it back home and unbox the battery

The battery package comes with a plastic dispenser containing sulphuric acid, which is meant to be poured into the electrolytes in the battery to sort of "activate" it for use. The sulphuric acid is very corrosive so there's many warning signs on the dispenser and instructions manual.


Leaving the battery there for 30 minutes to let the battery sets in, I brought it down to the carpark and started removing the seats to expose the battery compartment. There you see a flurry of wires which leads to my voltmeter, ERP unit, horn relay, alarm and Power Commander 3 unit. It did not take much effort to remove the battery and replace it with the new one. In less than 20 minutes, with the help of my brother, I got everything up and when I switch on the ignition, the roar of the detuned R1 engine is heard once more! Woohoo!


The original OEM battery

Revived with 12.6V at standby charge

6 comments:

Ti§h said...

once battery reach almost zero volt even just once, the sulfuric acid battery is gone. Yep! its better to change it asap

Hes said...

bro....
how come nv look for me. i got a battery charger... i could help u juice it up abit.
else how u think i am able to start my bike when i seldom ride :p

Hes said...

btw if you dont mind. can you give me your old battery.

Unknown said...

@ Tish: When the battery voltage reached below 12.4V, you have to change liao

@Andrew: The battery cannot hold the charge anymore, ie. it's pretty much dead. What you want the battery for?

Hes said...

nt enuff for bike but shld be enuff for testing purpose of led :p

Hes said...

thks for the battery!