Debian Applications on Maemo

Currently there's no proper document editor available for Maemo 5, only viewers from Dataviz.

And for one who uses editor on his phone to update his expense records, bike fuel consumption, I have to find a way to get similar applications running. Fortunately, I read on the internet about Easy Debian application which enables Maemo5 devices to install debian-based applications and even a debian Linux OS on a virtualbox. Thru this method I'm able to get Open Office, Weasel Browser, Gimp and Debian LXDE, and even the Sypnatic Package Manager to install other debian applications! Of coz not all debian apps are able to run on N900 though.

I tried both Openoffice and Gimp. Both are able to run flawlessly but since they are running on virtualbox, coupled with phone's low hardware requirements, I get slowdowns from time to time but overall, they are still usable.

Until a native document and photo editor are released for Maemo, I will stick to this method during this period.

Awesome mobile OS.




No comments: